Astellas Pharma Director Marketing Excellence in United States
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director Marketing Excellence opportunity.
Purpose & Scope:
The Launch and Marketing Excellence team is responsible for creating a learning organization, ensuring launch and marketing practices are best-in-class and embedded throughout the broader marketing community. The Director Marketing Excellence plays a key role by helping to shape the competencies that Astellas marketers will need now and in the future, prioritizing skills gaps and ensuring the successful embedding of programs in marketing capabilities. In addition, responsibilities include leadership of the Marketing Excellence Community and special projects that work with marketers across the globe to identify and deliver opportunities to drive excellence and efficiency in our marketing approach.
This role will lead part of our digital transformation that focuses on moving to our marketing content creation and dissemination to a modular approach, increasing our omnichannel expertise and working with pilot brand teams to understand and fill organizational gaps efficiently.
The role provides a unique cross-enterprise view, working across the organization globally and at all levels in the organization, including with division and cross-functional leaders. It requires strong marketing expertise, superior problem-solving abilities, cultural understanding and a demonstrated ability to work with people at multiple levels in the organization and in multiple functions. This is a high visibility role and provides the opportunity to part of our digital transformation to become a best-in-class marketing organization.
Core Tasks, Responsibilities and Authority:
- Be the architect of Astellas Marketing Excellence including capabilities and assessments to measure effectiveness of our programs in helping to build a learning organization.
- Ensure that best practices, learnings are identified, captured, shared and embedded in the organization
- Lead a cross-functional and cross-divisional team to develop the process, people and capability work required for our modular content portion of our digital transformation
- Keep abreast of trends and latest developments in marketing excellence, for example learning trends, general marketing trends, pharma marketing trends
- Leverage extensive networks to identify partnerships to drive innovation in Astellas' marketing effectiveness,
- Collaborate with commercial divisions and global marketing to drive cross-marketing initiatives and share best practices driving the One Astellas Way
- Drive a culture of Ethics and Compliance, ensuring Integrity in Action is actively applied in all initiatives and proactively address non-compliance (ALL)
- Other such duties as may be reasonably required by the business.
- Both global and affiliate pharmaceutical marketing experience and a working knowledge of digital marketing in a biotech or pharmaceutical company
- Experience working with cross-functional and cross-country partners within a matrixed organization
- Ability to work across stakeholders and partners to build consensus in order to align cohesive strategy and drive execution
Mandatory Compliance Requirements:
To be aware of Astellas' Group Code of Conduct and associated policies and procedures and other applicable laws, codes and regulations.
Clarify and seek guidance as required, and raise any concerns, in a timely manner, with relevant manager; which may include reference to the Ethics and Compliance Team and/or Ethics and Compliance Helpdesk.
Undertake and comply with relevant mandatory Ethics and Compliance training and updates to maintain personal awareness; all training to be undertaken in a timely manner.
Be aware of and comply with, the Astellas Way and Astellas Competences, in terms of expected values and behaviors, in addition to Astellas' HR policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Global center of excellence role
- Manages a budget of 1-3M annually
- May have direct reports
- Employees at all levels in Marketing (global and affiliate)
- Affiliates GMs; Affiliate Head of Marketing
- Medical Affairs, Ethics and Compliance, Legal global/regional/Affiliates and other functions
- External suppliers and consultants
- Professional and Regulatory bodies (sector, medical etc.)
Specific Physical Abilities:
Willing and able to undertake International travel (including staying away)
Specific Environmental Factors:
Remote. Based in the UK OR US. Willing to work such additional hours as required by the business. This is a role with international stakeholders -- flexibility to work across different time zones will be required on occasion.
- Fosters a culture where everything is done to enhance value to patients. Intentional about meeting/exceeding customer expectations (internal/external).
- Credible leader: engages colleagues/team to effectively deliver strategic plan and secure the confidence of key stakeholders.
- Considers broader picture and embeds a 'best practice' culture to increase operational performance within a multi-cultural, matrix and global organization.
Innovation and Change:
- Acts as ambassador for change; proactively fosters a continuous improvement and ideas generation culture.
- Secures commitment from peers/colleagues to adopt new work processes, systems, and approaches to embed change.
- Demonstrates personal accountability for business performance (unit/function); consistently delivers high performance results addressing risks in a constructive manner.
- Proactively supports team/colleagues to deliver effectively; sets clear expectations, priorities, and objectives utilising resources for optimum performance.
- Demonstrates integrity, sound judgment and decision-making skills. Addresses non-compliance.
- IT literate; able to utilize MS Office and virtual collaboration tools, database, compliance systems/applications, online knowledge repositories etc.
Communication & Collaboration:
- Strong collaborative skills: able to work cross-functionally and with virtual teams, to build trust, commitment and engagement. Adjusts approach to secure a positive and respectful outcome.
- Regularly seeks and provides constructive feedback with due recognition for individual contribution.
- Ability to deliver management reports and metrics and give 'formal' presentations and updates to diverse audience(s), corrective actions, qualitative/quantitative updates etc.
Developing & Inspiring:
- Creates an environment, which fosters learning and development with appropriate stretch and 'risk.' Provides constructive feedback to utilise strengths and identify development needs.
- Adopts a coaching approach to develop others and build future leaders with due respect for diversity and inclusion.
Working as One Astellas:
- Acts as an ambassador of ethics and compliance; incorporates cross-cultural perspective when addressing challenging situations.
- Creates an environment, which fosters mutual respect, integrity and value.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Work experience:
- Minimum of 12+ years' experience across in-line marketing and global marketing, operations and/or analytics in the pharmaceutical industry
- Minimum of (3) years project management experience or leading cross-functional or cross-country initiatives
- Demonstrated experience influencing without authority
- Experience working with teams / individuals with varied cultural backgrounds & learning styles
- Skills, knowledge:
- Ability to navigate in matrix global organization, in a multi-cultural environment and leading through influence
- Excellent organizational, planning and project management skills with a strong attention to detail and ability to effectively manage multiple cross-functional projects simultaneously.
- Bachelor's Degree with a minimum of 12+ years' experience in in-line marketing, strategic marketing and product launches
- Experience within Healthcare and/or pharmaceutical industry
- Demonstrated leadership in a matrix organization, able to motivate and inspire team members to high performance levels
- Proven decision-making and strategic thinking skills leading to successful outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to present complex issues to higher level management and contribute to high level presentations and discussions
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective collaborative relationships with team members, management and internal/external partners
- Demonstrated ability to be a consistent high-level contributor or leader of multiple projects, processes, or functions
- Proven track record of success being a high-level independent and team contributor to lead multiple project and processes
- Experience working with teams / individuals with varied cultural backgrounds & learning styles
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Proven ability at producing presentation materials that resonate with multiple audiences; thinks 'beyond the deck' to anticipate potential issues; confident working in virtual environment
- Able to connect the dots and see the big themes -- uses data and other inputs to guide decision making
- Flexible, adaptive working style suited to a fast-paced environment.
- Post-graduate qualification such as MBA and/or MSc or equivalent is (desirable)
- Both global and affiliate pharmaceutical marketing experience
- Experience rolling out enterprise-wide programs
Salary Range $ 168,000 -- $ 224,000
Top benefits including: * Medical, Dental and Vision insurance * Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, national holidays and year-end holiday shutdown * 401(k) Match and Annual Company Contribution * Company Paid Life Insurance * Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions * Annual Financial Wellness Allowance and Annual Wellness Reward * Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions * Referral bonus program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled Category Commercial Strategy & Capabilities