Astellas Pharma Scientist, Cell Sorting and Flow Cytometry in Seattle, Washington
Universal Cells is focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. We conduct clinical-grade gene editing of stem cells and have a major effort in R&D. We design and produce stem cells that avoid rejection, and we engineer cells with improved therapeutic properties, all through our world-class gene editing platform.
Our goal is to provide cells for regenerative medicine applications that can treat all patients. Through internal R&D and our corporate partnerships, we are pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, including blindness, cancer, vascular insufficiency, and autoimmune diseases.
Universal Cells is announcing a Scientist, Flow Cytometry opportunity at their facility in Seattle, WA.
We are seeking an innovative and motivated Scientist to provide expert cytometry and cell sorting expertise for our Research group, which is tasked with developing engineered, stem cell-derived, therapeutic cells. These skills will be used to purify cell subsets and characterize cell identity, purity, and function, at the different stages of our processes, from edited stem cells, through differentiation, to mature effector cells.
Universal Cells is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's health around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Will stain cells to assess vitality, identity, and function, targeting surface and intra-cellular molecules.
- Will perform cell sorting and flow cytometry with human stem cells and their differentiated progeny.
- Will perform data analysis with software including FlowJo, FACSDiva, Graphpad/Prism, and Excel.
- Will train colleagues in best practices for cell analysis.
- Will build and manage protocols and templates to standardize assays.
- Will implement procedures for the use and management of multi-user equipment.
- Will maintain familiarity with advances in the field and with scientific literature.
- Will provide subject matter expertise for cell sorting and flow cytometry.
- Will maintain Universal Cells' cytometry instruments in good working order.
- PhD degree and 0-3+ years (or MS with 6+ years and/or BS with 8+ years) of relevant post-graduate experience with multi-parameter cytometry and cell sorting
- Experience with the operation, oversight, training, and management of cell sorters used in support of research programs.
- Working knowledge of cell biology, cell-based assays and analytical techniques.
- Skills to develop and implement new methods.
- Ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Familiarity with quality control, routine maintenance, and troubleshooting of complex instrumentation.
- Clear organizational skills.
- Experience with stem cells and their differentiation.
- Experience with immunology.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development