Astellas Pharma Environmental Health & Safety Manager in Seattle, Washington
Universal Cells is focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. We conduct clinical-grade gene editing of stem cells and have a major effort in R&D. We design and produce stem cells that avoid rejection, and we engineer cells with improved therapeutic properties, all through our world-class gene editing platform.
Our goal is to provide cells for regenerative medicine applications that can treat all patients. Through internal R&D and our corporate partnerships, we are pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, including blindness, cancer, vascular insufficiency, and autoimmune diseases.
Universal Cells (UCI) is announcing an Environmental Health & Safety Manager opportunity at their facility in Seattle, WA.
The primary purpose of the Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) Manager is to direct the development, implementation, and maintenance of comprehensive environmental, safety and health programs for the facility. The EHS Manager provides the leadership, direction and support necessary to ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations; standards to meet or exceed relevant internal and external safety & environmental standards; in a manner consistent with sound business practice. The EH&S Manager must possess the ability to develop and maintain relationships with all levels within the organization to include all employees at the site level. The EH&S Manager needs to be able to indirectly lead change across all departments.
Universal Cells is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's health around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Will be responsible for implementing EH&S policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws, regulations, rules and best management practices.
- Responsible for all aspects of the environmental, health and safety program across multiple sites; including but not limited to training, incident investigations, emergency planning, auditing/inspections, communicating results, waste water oversight and action plans to management.
- Manages biosafety in manufacturing and laboratories specifically on the safe use and storage of biohazardous materials, management of biohazardous waste, member of the IBC and general biosafety.
- Ensures appropriate corrective action is taken where health and safety hazards exist.
- Identify, implement, maintain and document all operational control programs as per local requirements on Occupational Safety and Health, Worker Safety, Loss Prevention, Environmental Sustainability, Emergency Preparedness and Response Programs.
- Required to review all industrial hygiene projects, support industrial hygiene testing related to all IH-driven projects and lead industrial hygiene projects with third party companies.
- Compile, analyze and interpret IH results and report conclusions
- Maintain OHSA injury and illness records.
- Perform other duties as assigned or special projects as needed
- S. in Environmental/Health and Safety Science, engineering, or Applied Sciences degree is required
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations, industry standards and best management practices pertaining to occupational health & safety
- Technical and practical knowledge of biotechnology, research and development and/or manufacturing is highly recommended, or a willingness to quickly become proficient is required.
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment
- Ability to influence without authority, in a matrix environment.
- Strong time-management and organizational skills coupled with a sense of urgency and strong work ethic
- Must have critical thinking skills, strong writing skills, good interpersonal communication skills.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Collaborative team player who has the ability to think and act quickly and identify creative solutions to moderately complex problems
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to articulate quality related risks and potential impact.
- Reliability and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and perform with a high degree of accuracy
- Proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) Certified
- Registered Biosafety Professional (RBP) Certification
- Working knowledge of cGMP
- Experience in biologics
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled