Astellas Pharma Area Director Field HEOR, Medical Affairs - Western US (MSL Mgr, Outcomes Liaison Mgr) in Salt Lake City, Colorado
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Area Director HEOR - West opportunity.
Purpose & Scope:
The Area Director Health Economics & Outcomes Research (HEOR) is accountable for oversight and leadership of a field HEOR organization that cultivates collaborative medical relationships and leads scientific exchange/education. This collaboration occurs with national and regional corporatized providers across multiple customer segments including, but not limited to, managed care organizations (MCO), accountable care organizations (ACO), integrated health systems (IHN), group purchasing organizations (GPO), pharmacy benefit managers (PBM) and Federal and State Medicaid. The Area Director HEOR is responsible for developing and implementing field strategies that align with therapeutic area business objectives and customer needs. In addition, they lead efforts to identify opportunities to establish partnerships across corporatized provider organizations. This position requires proficiency in leading field-based leaders, effective people management skills and demonstrated matrix leadership skills. Specifically, this individual will:
- ensure effective and compliant execution of field HEOR medical activities through appropriate planning, resourcing and management of Field HEOR (F_HEOR) colleagues;
- establish effective communication with Astellas field and home office leaders to understand and support the needs of the business; and
- oversee field efforts to establish Astellas research partnerships with external organizations.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead HEOR F-HEOR teams to effectively execute HEOR initiatives with corporatized providers that are aligned with Astellas business objectives
- Manage, mentor and develop a high performing F-HEOR team through hiring and/or development of in-house talent
- Lead HEOR field organization to create innovative, cutting-edge approaches to meet organizational business needs that may have broader long-term implications for the Medical Affairs (MA)MA and US organization
- Build strategic collaborations with field and home office leadership to advance HEOR initiatives as appropriate
- Actively monitor the changing health care landscape to anticipate future resource needs and collaborate with Astellas senior leadership (field and home office) to address those needs
- Drive field HEOR business planning process that is aligned with the HEOR therapeutic areas/product strategies
- Act as a strategic interface with field leadership, corporatized customers and home office leadership to ensure voice of customer is represented in strategic HEOR and MA plans
- Engage regional/national corporatized provider executive leaders on behalf of Astellas to align opportunities for partnered research collaborations
- Ensure field organization has a robust understanding of the US healthcare market, evolving medical practice standards, advances in HEOR assessments/data, Astellas products/therapeutic areas and competitive landscape
- Represent Astellas on appropriate HEOR and managed markets issues at national forums, conferences, and professional associations; including monitoring and communicating activities by such bodies to internal stakeholders
- Serve on or lead intercompany HEOR, MA or other committees within Astellas as appropriate
The Area Director HEOR leads a field organization that effectively executes HEOR initiatives with corporatized providers and communicates the medical value proposition for Astellas products throughout their life cycle. They are responsible for collaborating with internal (field/home office) and external stakeholders across multiple products and therapeutic areas to represent the voice of the customer and shape business strategies. The Area Director will be accountable for managing resources, priorities and workload across the field organization. They will develop and implement field objectives and strategies to support product plans and are responsible for managing the budget within their area of responsibility. The results produced by the Area Director and their direct reports must be scientifically sound and in compliance with applicable regulations.
The Director oversees this work with minimal supervision.
The Area Director HEOR reports to the Senior Director HEOR and will manage a team of F-HEOR colleagues. They will have multiple cross-collaborative project teams and matrix responsibilities across therapeutic areas with both field and home office stakeholders. The Area Director HEOR will collaborate with the following colleagues:
- MA: Senior Director/Directors, HEOR; Executive Medical Directors; Medical Directors; Medical Communication
- Commercial/Health Systems: Vice President, Senior Directors (field and home office)
- Other: Senior Director/Directors, Legal/Compliance/Government Affairs
- External: Astellas partners, Vendors, Executive Leaders
- Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, DO)
- Minimum 7 years related experience in field-based management, including at least 3 years leading leaders
- Demonstrated effective leadership and managerial skills
- Solid understanding of the interface between clinical practice and outcomes research
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated people development, strategic thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal relationship and collaboration skills working within cross-functional teams
- Approximately 25-50% travel required depending on location
- Strong knowledge of US healthcare delivery systems (e.g. accountable care, managed care, pharmacy benefit management, government [Medicare, Medicaid]) and solid understanding of policy issues
- Thorough understanding of FDA, PhRMA, OIG, and ACCME guidelines as they relate to HEOR and Medical Affairs
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs