Astellas Pharma Senior Director Scientific Publications in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company. Astellas is announcing a Senior Director Scientific Publications opening in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Senior Director Scientific Publications is responsible for leading English-language publication activities globally for Astellas marketed products and compounds in post-POC clinical developent. The Head Scientific Publications will be accountable for managing the execution of the publication plans (in partnership with TA Heads in Medical Affairs and Development), overseeing all publication operations, including publication project management, author/vendor management and submission logistics. The incumbent will be responsible for overseeing budget for all English-language publications, and working with authors, medical leaders and statistics to ensure high quality publication submissions. Furthermore, the leader will set, govern and enforce global standards for all Astellas-driven publication activities globally, across all publication types and languages.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Oversight of functions related to publications planning and development and publication-related training
- Oversight of the global Policy and SOP regulating publications at Astellas and continuous improvement of the Policy, in line with changes within and outside of Astellas
- Manage the Publication Database that functions as a repository as well as a project management and review tool for all English-language publications; including ensuring training for all colleagues involved in the publications process
- Understand industry trends in publications to ensure Astellas standards are in line with best practices
- Ensure all applicable products/compounds in post-POC clinical development have annual Publication Plans
- Ensure proactive risk management approaches are applied to allow for execution of Publication Plans according to agreed timelines
- Establish strong partnership with Medical and Development staff at Global, Region and Country levels throughout the publication process
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure Astellas colleagues and outsource partners plan and deliver scientific communications that are scientifically balanced and sound
- Establish continuous monitoring, metrics and reporting to ensure adherence to policy and processes and identify areas for process improvement
- Ensure colleagues within the Publications department have the tools and resources to be successful in the execution of their objectives
- Financial management of department-related budget
The Senior Director, head of Scientific Publication leads a high performing leadership team that delivers high quality publications across multiple therapeutic areas. The results produced by the Senior Director and their direct reports must be scientifically sound and in compliance with applicable regulations. The Senior Director will oversee the Scientific Publication budget (estimated 10 million dollars) and will demonstrate effective leadership and executive presence with both internal and external executive leaders. This includes a staff of 12+ and oversight/management of vendors and contractors.
The Senior Director, Scientific Publications reports to the Vice President, Medical Excellence and will manage a department with at least 3 people managers as well as individual contributors, vendors and contractors. They will have multiple cross-collaborative project teams and matrix responsibilities within the Astellas global organization. The Senior Director will collaborate with the following colleagues: * Medical Affairs (Global and Regional): Executive Medical Directors, Medical Directors, Directors * Development: Vice Presidents/Executive Directors; Senior Directors, Directors (TA and Global Data Science) * Other: Alliance Management, Compliance, Legal * External: Authors, Journal Editors, Vendors, Contractors
- Advanced Degree required (MBA, MD, PharmD, PhD, NP, PA); Healthcare degree preferred
- At least 10 years of pharmaceutical industry, or related, experience with at least 5 years of experience in publication planning and tactical execution
- People management and team leadership experience
- Significant project management experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in a global environment (multiple regions and countries)
- Working knowledge of pharmaceutical development and product life-cycle management
- Significant experience and knowledge of clinical trial protocols, reports, data presentation and interpretation
- Familiarity with all aspects of publication planning and ability to bring industry insights on trends in publication planning and management
- Ability to interact with internal and external authors, journal editors, teams, etc.
- Ability to assess medical writing quality
- In depth knowledge of ICMJE, GPP3, IFPMA and other guidelines related to publication practice
- Ability to function effectively on a strategic as well as tactical basis
- Experience managing publications in a global environment
- Experience in managing people managers
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Global Medical Affairs