Astellas Pharma Senior Director, Medical Infomation in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing Senior Director, Medical Information opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Senior Director of Medical Information is responsible for defining strategy for and content of the global medical information system across all TAs. The Senior Director of Medical Information ensures that current, approved, TA specific medical content is contained in the global repository. The use of this repository provides one point of accountability across all regions/affiliates for global TA products to: disseminate information to external customers as one Astellas medical voice; provide documentation and risk mitigation; align processes; and allow for metrics, reporting and analysis of our customers' inquiries. This position oversees the analysis of comprehensive scientific and competitive intelligence to inform medical content for external customers.
This position drives change by identifying new and innovative solutions to medical information service gaps. Incumbent manages specific ongoing or new initiatives within Medical Information.
The position is responsible for overseeing a team of Medical Information professionals that provide medical information content development, support and training for regional and local medical information needs and for ensuring Medical Information Subject Matter Experts are embedded within the Core Medical Teams (CMTs) as applicable. The incumbent is accountable for the management of the Medical Information functional group, including capacity planning, optimizing organizational structure, staff development, evaluating performance, hiring and deployment of personnel.
The Sr. Director influences regional stakeholders across all Medical Affairs groups to ensure a strategic and systematic process of compiling and developing medical information content with regional and local input. The incumbent effectively partners with and effectively influences Medical Affairs professionals and Astellas stakeholders across all regions to drive the execution and appropriate use of global medical information.
The incumbent works across MA TAs and other functional groups (eg legal, development, PV, commercial) to ensure understanding of Medical Information responsibilities/needs.
The incumbent collaborates with various Astellas stakeholders as described below.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for overseeing global medical information strategy across all TAs through consolidation of input from appropriate stakeholders with associated identification of key clinical issues that should be included in global external medical content..
- Proactively and strategically identifies CMT needs across TAs
- Supports multiple CMPs through direct involvement and/or direct report management
- Oversees and/or leads matrix Global Medical Content Teams (GMCTs) consisting of global direct reports and regional representatives responsible for the development of scientifically balanced, well-referenced core global medical content used for responses to external medical inquiries for global products. Effectively drives a systematic approach to the development of best practices and analysis of process gaps for GMCTs across TAs.
- Responsible for effective strategic thinking and problem solving with high degree of emotional intelligence, with the ability to both recognize and anticipate problems. Possesses the ability to translate change leadership challenges into solutions for an improved and successful global medical information community. Removes barriers that interfere with effective teamwork and collaboration
- Influences across regional MA and affiliates, up to senior leadership, to ensure the development of global medical content and its appropriate use across all TAs
- Manages the development of medical information content training across TAs for regions and local affiliates in collaboration with MA colleagues
- Aligns the Medical Information TA teams to ensure identification and evaluation of pertinent scientific and competitive intelligence including publications and congress presentations; consolidation and dissemination of knowledge into optimal formats useful to Astellas stakeholders in conjunction with Insights and Training; integration of current knowledge into external medical content
- Consolidates gaps across TAs regarding Medical Information policies and procedures; collaborates with Medical Communications Systems/Governance and Medical Affairs Operations to create/modify/improve current practices as identified
Medical Communications colleagues and MA Training Managers in MA groups to drive and ensure understanding and use of global medical content and to ensure a productive and highly valued work environment;
- MA, Metrics and Reporting to develop reports/metrics and analysis to support successful strategic planning by the medical teams both globally and regionally
- Astellas library stakeholders to ensure customer satisfaction and continued improvement to the TA resources on the global library portal
- Publications group to ensure communication exchange i.e. ensure Astellas publications are included in medical information content
- Medical Communications, Systems and Governance to ensure alignment on the consistent, accurate, and effective use of global content by regions/local affiliates
- MA Core Medical Teams to ensure appropriate membership of medical information Subject Matter Experts on CMTs
- Medical Affairs groups and affiliate professionals
- Legal and Compliance
- Interacts and benchmarks against industry peer organizations
- Provides performance management reviews, coaching and mentoring for direct reports.
- Ensure compliance and transparency within medical information processes and procedures in alignment with Legal / Regulatory / Compliance
This position drives change by identifying new and innovative solutions to medical information service gaps. Senior Director will be expected to lead new and/or ongoing initiatives within Medical Communication, such as, but not limited to:
Initiatives regarding legal and/or compliance discussions for Medical Information
- Business Lead with Systems and Governance to ensure continuous improvement in call center customer service
- Business Lead with MA Metrics and Reporting to develop appropriate medical information value stories for reports and communication within Astellas
- Manages the Medical Information functional group, including capacity planning, optimizing organizational structure, staff development, evaluating performance, hiring and deployment of personnel
- Impact on global customer service and the development and dissemination of medical information provided to both internal and external customers.
- Position directly impacts compliance with: regulatory/safety/legal requirements of the regional regulatory agencies, regional and international pharmaceutical codes, and internal Astellas policies
- Responsible for management of medical information professionals across multiple locations and oversight of all therapeutic areas
- All applicable MA users will have access to the global medical information system (450+) and its contents
- Critical leadership with respect to new and ongoing initiatives across Medical Communications
- Executes business initiatives that advance the Medical Affairs strategy
- Accountable for oversight of medical information travel budget including development and prioritization, project goals and department priorities
- Reports to the Medical Communications Lead and is a member of the Medical Communications leadership team, participates in the creation and execution of the group's objectives and strategic plan
- The incumbent is accountable for the management of the Medical Information functional group, including capacity planning, optimizing organizational structure, staff development, evaluating performance, hiring and deployment of personnel
- Oversees and leads matrix GMCTs consisting of global direct reports and regional representatives engaged in the development of global medical information content
- Collaborates with groups inside Astellas (MA, Development, Legal, Compliance, etc.) and outside Astellas (external vendors) and ensures medical information knowledge sharing as required
- Influences across Astellas stakeholders from junior levels up to and including Senior Vice President level
- Health Care Professional: Advanced Degree (such as PharmD, PhD or MD) with at least 7-10 years pharmaceutical experience including at least 5 years of drug/medical Information experience
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of legal/regulatory/compliance requirements and guidelines with respect to medical affairs and medical communications in the pharmaceutical industry
- Applies expert technical skills to identify and critically evaluate literature; communicate effectively via medical/scientific writing and verbal communication. Skills include: writing, review and editing of communications using clinical expertise, ability to provide guidance and direction to junior levels with respect to written/verbal communications
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles and concepts associated with search strategies; applies broad pharmaceutical knowledge to information and knowledge management
- Has a very thorough knowledge of medical terminology, most company products and pharmaceutical industry workings.
- Has expert presentation and training skills
- Demonstrates understanding of commercial business needs as they relate to customer service
- Demonstrates matrix leadership skills- can effectively mentor others in matrix leadership skills
- Fluent in written and business English
- Applies expert problem solving skills and has ability to manage multiple complex problems and competing priorities.
- At least 7 years personnel management and/or group/team leader experience.
- Experience working and managing in a global environment
- Experience within TA(s)
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Communications