Astellas Pharma Medical Director Oncology (Clinical Development) in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Medical Director Oncology (Clinical Development) opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
- Accountable and responsible for development and implementation of a global medical development plan on an early to late-phase project.
- Serves as global medical lead (GML) on early stage project or at the indication study level for a larger/complex/multi-indication program.
- Responsible for designing and conducting a global medical program resulting in quality regulatory submissions.
- Responsible for the medical interface with drug discovery, regulatory and commercial colleagues.
- Provides medical leadership on the Global Project Team and may chair the Global Clinical Team meetings; collaborates with other project team members and study team(s) to ensure delivery and quality of clinical trials.
- Supports other projects as required.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Fulfills the role of Global Medical Lead (GML) and is a member of the Medical & Development Core Team.
- Responsible for design and recommendations in clinical development plan for their drug, after soliciting appropriate input and review from Medical and Clinical Operations colleagues as well as other contributing line functions (Regulatory Affairs, Statistics. Clinical Operations, Commercial).
- Leads the medical team for assigned clinical trials to design, implement, conduct and interpret clinical studies to support decisions to advance or halt development of a new drug or to successful filing regulatory submissions.
- Responsible for execution and delivery of the clinical development plan.
- Acquires publically available knowledge of competitor products and clinical plans.
- Negotiates milestones and ensures clinical development objectives are met.
- Motivates global clinical team towards the common goal of submissions of approvable regulatory filings or next clinical milestone.
- Attends important meetings with the FDA and, as needed, with regulatory agencies worldwide.
- Contributes to Global Project Team meetings.
- Responsible for keeping GDPL, other project physicians and VP Global Medical Science TA Head informed of clinical progress and any critical clinical issues and especially the emerging safety profile.
- Contributes to clinical documents: protocols, IBs, study reports, statistical analysis plans, publications, CSR and clinical sections of regulatory submissions.
- Responsible for clinical expert panel meetings and advisory boards to give input on clinical plans
- Presents to senior management and external audiences on clinical aspects of compound development: including milestones, strategies, recent data.
- Incorporates Health Economics Outcomes Research requirements into protocol design.
- Collaborates with Medical Directors across TA and may have oversight of study physician contractors.
- Budget: allocated to the Global Project Team budget.
- Responsible for decisions and advice in scientific, clinical and/or technical areas that can impact development timelines/regulatory review periods/acceptance and create significant delay or additional costs.
- Reports to the Vice President Global Medical Science TA Head or to the Executive Medical Director TA Head.
- Matrixed relationship to colleagues on the Global Project Team, Clinical Operations, Statistics, Regulatory Affairs, Clinical Pharmacology and Medical Affairs.
- Collaborates with the APGD Global Development Project Leaders in assuring the smooth function of the Global Project Team.
- Medical Degree (MD) or Medically Qualified with post graduate qualification and specialization in appropriate therapeutic specialty preferred.
- Should have at least 3 years relevant experience in drug development at a biotech/pharmaceutical company or the equivalent experience at an academic clinical research (NCI, NIH, Academic Research groups etc.
- Significant and demonstrable working-knowledge of regulatory procedures and guidelines in all regions (global scope).
- Proven track record in clinical study design, monitoring and execution and results analysis.
- Has demonstrated knowledge of designing, implementing and conducting clinical studies, to produce both timely and good quality data.
- Proven record of working on teams and in a matrix environment.
- Proven ability to get results in a matrix management environment.
- Additional post doctoral training or additional qualifications such as PhD, PharmD, certificate in Pharmaceutical Medicine.
- Prior experience in leadership role in EU/US regulatory filing.
- Experience in development and implementation of global clinical trials for the registration and support of NMEs worldwide.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Clinical Development