Astellas Pharma Manager, Medical Specialty Finance in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Manager, Medical Specialty Finance in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
This position is responsible for the financial reporting and analysis of clinical development project expenses for Astellas' Clinical Development organization. This role will assist summarizing and analyzing financial plan and financial results data for Development's project expenses using information provided by teammates in the US and Japan. It also provides financial support to study teams and project leadership teams to more effectively achieve goals and improve processes. It supports the objectives of the Finance Director, Development and the Global R&D Finance team.
This role has important partnerships with Development leaders in the US and Japan and peers within the Development Finance team members supporting Development Northbrook and Tokyo. This role will meet regularly with clinical study leaders and project leaders based in the US.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level financial and business advice to stakeholders through effective partnerships, useful analyses, and by constructively challenging proposals so Astellas can meet its overall goals effectively.
- Provides key stakeholders with accurate, timely financial information to support decision making, and enabling compliance with policies, regulations, and laws
- Develops and consolidates financial plans (managerial and statutory basis) for Global Development's clinical project activities. "Hands on" participation in the preparing financial plans is required.
- Performs variance analysis, monitors financial performance against budget and forecast, and collaborates with business partners to control development expenses. "Hands on" participation in the preparing financial reports is required.
- Works with Development leaders to explain results and adjust business plans to achieve goals while meeting financial and headcount targets.
- Responsible for implementing the planning processes within the remit of the role, in alignment with the global process
- Lead the budgeting process across his/her remit, including target setting, challenging the relevant leads, and ensuring realistic budgets
- Drive the forecasting process, ensuring that results are reasonably predictive, and effectively highlight risks and opportunities, allowing the business to create value through adjustments and reallocations of investments
- Support effective business performance management, including working with the Finance Business Partnering teams to set appropriate (and standardised where possible) KPIs, reporting and challenging the business to improve results, grow profits and create sustainable value
- Leverage business knowledge and relationships to effectively support and challenge business performance and Planning, Budgeting & Forecasting
- Assists the Finance Director, Development with summarizing Development's worldwide financial plans and results as needed.
- Provides oversight to month-end close activities for Development's operations including journal entries (accruals, reclass, amortization).
- Provides oversight on accounting entries for the close and may approve entries by the R&D Accounting Center of Excellence (COE).
- Collaborates with R&D Accounting COE and the Development Finance team to produce timely and accurate financial information for Development's activities.
- Conducts financial reviews with stakeholders as needed.
- Develops ad hoc reports and financial models as required.
- Ensure adherence to Astellas policies relating to Finance Controls and Compliance standards
- Identifies and supports opportunities for process improvements within own activities and stakeholders' operations
- Other such duties as may be reasonably required by the business.
- This position reports to the Finance Director, Development, based in Northbrook, IL USA.
- The primary partners of this role are the clinical study teams and project leadership teams in Development.
- This position is part of the Development Finance team that provides services to all the business units reporting to Astellas' Chief Medical Officer.
- There are roles in R&D Finance supporting other business units. Collaboration and best practices sharing across R&D Finance will be expected.
- There are complexities associated with this role:
- This position has responsibilities for leading work focused on the Development's organizations global project budgets.
- Ability to operate effectively within a global environment, using remote communication, and appreciating different cultural backgrounds
- Undergraduate degree with emphasis in Finance or Accounting or Life Sciences undergraduate / MBA combination
- 7 years of financial management and / or accounting experience
- Fluency in local language, English conversational and business English (equivalent to Toefl IBT 105+, or 7.5 IELTS, CAE- Cambridge English advanced exam, TOEIC Listening 400+, Reading 400+, Speaking 150+, Writing 150+)
- 4 years of recent experience as a senior financial partner to a business unit leader
- 2 years of experience managing and coaching staff
Job Specific Skills
- Poise, confidence, adaptability and effective influencing skills needed for interacting with Astellas senior leaders and third parties in high stakes situations
- Strong teamwork and partner behaviors
- Experience in working in global teams
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity in pioneering new approaches and ways of working
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Working knowledge of internal controls and J-Sox, IFRS
- Adept with MS Office applications
- CPA, CA, CMA, CIMA, CGMA or equivalent
- Experience supporting biopharma R&D in a finance or planning role
- Experience with SAP and BPC
- Experience improving financial planning and reporting activities
- Experience in a multi-national, multi-currency environment
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category R&D Finance