Astellas Pharma Manager, Data Analytics in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Manager, Data Analytics opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
Operational Improvement & Reporting Excellence is a leader in aligning functions across M&D organizations in areas which impact quality management; process management; non-drug initiative management, including IT components, to support business strategy; business information reporting and analytics; resource management; and learning and development. As Manager, Data Analytics, this role will be responsible for facilitating collaborative partnerships with functional stakeholders to identify, develop and execute advanced data analytics and methods to facilitate decision-making activities at the project and portfolio level.
The position will be responsible for ensuring the delivery of reliable, actionable analyses to internal customers ensuring best in practice analytics are developed and maintained as the business needs evolve. This position will also be responsible for providing technical feedback or direction utilizing technical expertise.
This position may manage specific projects assigned and may oversee work performed by contractors and/or outsourced services.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Developing and improving operational data modeling capabilities.
- Maintaining data integration from multiple global systems, internally and externally.
- Validating data quality across reporting and analytical platforms.
- Performing data discovery incorporating new datasets into existing analytics.
- Managing external vendor development of analytics tools and systems.
- Developing ad hoc reports and operational data models as required by stakeholders.
- Managing any direct reports through successful recruitment, performance management, development planning and retention of a high performing team.
- Managing external vendor services, as applicable.
- Overseeing outsourced vendors maintaining any systems used in data analytics, including data storing services and reporting tools, as applicable.
- Documenting and validating models to ensure high quality output.
- Responsible for evaluating opportunities to improve productivity and to maximize efficiency of project and portfolio analytics and reporting. The role would support evaluation of a portfolio including approximately 200 projects, 600 clinical studies, fiscal year expenses of > $1 billion oku Yen and approximately 1800 headcount in a given 5-year window.
- May provide oversight of vendors or contractors working on a project, as applicable.
- The position reports to the Head of Information Reporting & Architecture.
- The position will have no internal direct reports and may manage external vendor relationships and oversee 1-3 outsourced resources.
- The position will work closely with Operational Improvement & Reporting Excellence groups to support reporting requirements and respond to any gaps or improvements needed in the data model or systems/tools.
- Works cross-functionally with other Astellas groups to develop and implement excellence in project & product portfolio analytics and reporting.
- Education BA/BS with emphasis in Finance or Accounting, Statistics, Mathematics or Life Sciences.
- Minimum 6 years of experience analyzing data, either financial or other, and/or management consulting experience focused on analyzing operational data.
- Strong knowledge in use of enterprise-wide data warehousing options/opportunities and reporting tools/systems, as a business user not technical/IT user, to facilitate and support the analytical and reporting capabilities for operational data.
- Strong knowledge of tools used to support collection of business operations data, such as SAP, AnaPlan, etc.
- Working knowledge of Big Data techniques and data visualization tools such as SpotFire.
- Working knowledge of various statistical modeling techniques and their application within complex analytical projects, such as regression modeling, ROI, portfolio attrition.
- Demonstrated strong data analysis skills coupled with ability to communicate meaning from the data.
- Effective oral and written communication and presentation skills in English, with an ability to interact at all levels of personnel.
- Effective strategic thinker and problem solver with emotional intelligence and the ability to both
- recognize and anticipate problems.
- Ability to both recognize and anticipate problems. Possesses the ability to translate solutions into viable action plans at a global level that are effectively disseminated and implement through cooperation of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity in pioneering new approaches and ways of working.
- Strong teamwork and partner behaviors, ability to operate among diverse cultures.
- Adept with MS Office applications.
- Advanced degree (MBA/MA/MS or PhD or related degree) preferred.
- Accounting certification (such as CPA, CA, etc).
- Experience with SAP and BPC.
- Understanding of the global drug development process.
- Knowledge of business processes and procedures in clinical drug development, including portfolio, planning, clinical trial management, cost, staffing, resource management and/or time tracking areas.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled