Astellas Pharma Director Strategic Pricing in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Director Strategic Pricing position located in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
Successful pricing outcomes are fundamental to the achievement of Astellas's commercial objectives and the evolving, complex pharmaceutical payer environment as well as pricing dynamics makes Global Pricing a critical function. This role will support the development of Astellas' technical and strategic pricing capabilities through delivery, embedding and maintenance of strategic pricing objectives established within the corporate Value Gene initiative.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Head of Strategic Pricing, the role will be responsible for:
- Enhancing Astellas's pricing capability, through implementation of industry-leading approaches to developing product list and commercial price strategies within Astellas global markets.
- Executing new approaches to optimise Astellas's product launch sequence; determine indication sequencing; establish launch price targets; address international reference pricing challenges; issues of price erosion; and emerging markets pricing.
- Leading the implementation of an innovative system of active Gross-to-Net price management in global affiliates, commencing with a pilot in selected Established Markets and with a view to replicating the approach in markets globally.
- Collaborating with affiliates and stakeholders (eg finance) to review gross-to-net practices; identify opportunities to stem value leakage; establish best practice; and make recommendations with a view to delivering tangible improvements to the P&L.
- Working with GMAx leads to support the development, embedding and execution of innovative, value-enhancing price strategies across the portfolio.
- This will includes identifying the potential for innovative Patient Access Initiatives (PAIs) to address affordability and patients access to Astellas medicines.
- Assessing the portfolio to identity suitable assets in development which would benefit form Evidence Based Pricing (EBPs) approaches in order to address evidence gaps.
- Leading the introduction and implementation of analytical tools and processes (i.e. databases, information sources, tracking mechanisms, KPIs, templates and analytic platforms etc) to assist affiliates with monitoring G2N management and perform global analysis to inform global price strategy and decision making.
- Commissioning 3rd party vendors on strategic pricing research or consultancy projects which enhance Astellas pricing capabilities, including insights, methodologies, frameworks, databases & tools.
- This role is accountable for developing Astellas's technical and strategic pricing capabilities across all Astellas global markets and across the entire asset pipeline.
- Reports to SVP Global Market Access & Pricing via VP; Global Pricing and Head of Strategic Global Pricing
- This role is one of two Strategic Pricing Directors
- Peer group: Archetype Lead, GMAx lead, Affiliate Finance directors, Pricing Operations Lead, Marketing Strategy Lead, Medical Affairs Lead, HEOR Lead.
- Bachelor's degree life sciences, finance, marketing/business administration or related field.
- Prior global pricing experience in global pharmaceutical company
- Minimum of 10 years of pharmaceutical business experience which may include:
*Health outcomes, finance or operations planning related experience
*Minimum of 5 years of Market Access, Pricing or Reimbursement experience in major affiliate or global organization
- Strong understanding and experience of working within different payer environments; drivers for reimbursement & value-based access
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and monitoring pricing approaches; experience with database and KPI management. Clear understanding of different pricing approaches in different countries, value-based pricing and price negotiations
- Experience working in a global position and working across regional organizations to develop global pricing policies and respective governance
- Demonstrated expertise in international reference pricing and tendering systems and knowledge of analytical and conceptual tools which are relevant to pricing and contracting.
- Strong leadership: Ready to take a leading role in work streams; exercise influence in decision making process among diverse functional & geographical areas & at all levels of management.
- Strategic thinking: Must be able to see operational trends and activities and relate their impact to the "bigger" strategic picture.
- Strong communication: Both verbal and written, including presentation skills essential. Fluent in written and verbal business English. Proven ability of successfully managing complexity across multi-functional stakeholders, and building strong relationships
- Strong analytical thinker: with ability prioritize and resolve trade-offs between competing demands. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to influence decision making across diverse functional areas and all levels of management.
- MBA or other post graduate qualification (or equivalent professional qualification) an advantage.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled