Astellas Pharma Director MA Training in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company. Astellas is announcing a Director, MA Training opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
- The Director MA Training is accountable to lead and oversee training for Medical Affairs colleagues by setting the strategy and establishing governance for the development, implementation, monitoring, measuring of training and reporting of training compliance. This includes the responsibility to design, implement and proactively drive enhancements to the Medical Affairs training curriculum (via the Medical Affairs Training Matrix). The person holding this position leads a team of training professionals who drive development of training programs/materials for Medical Affairs procedural/operating model enhancements and collaborates with Medical Affairs Stakeholders and other SMEs to drive professional development across the Medical Affairs community.
- This position will be responsible for providing vision, leadership and strategic direction for the development, maintenance and improvement of learning excellence within Medical Affairs, as well as responsibility to overseeing the successful delivery of cross-functional learning solutions within Medical Affairs.
- The incumbent is accountable to drive excellence in learning through the development, execution and oversight of effective learning & development solutions across all of Medical Affairs, and the position is also accountable to provide learning expertise, including implementation of new and innovative methods which incorporate adult learning principles, to drive successful adoption/embedding of various learning and training programs.
- The person holding this position demonstrates commitment to Medical Affairs' vision of building a community of 'life-long learners,' through initiatives that create an environment that sustains excitement about professional growth. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible to ensure that all Medical Affairs professionals are fully compliant with their assigned curriculum and collaborates with Medical Affairs stakeholders to ensure learning and training goals are proactively established and met.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead the development and implementation of 1-3 year global Medical Affairs strategic training plan, including strategic goals & objectives, to drive learning excellence across Medical Affairs.
- Establishing standards/innovation in learning and training that is current and progressive with industry methodologies: define, implements and supports the most effective professional development practices by maintaining awareness of and setting trends in instructional practice, technology, instructional models, educational issues, etc., and by understanding their implications.
- Leverage instructional technologies to drive training programs globally: defines training programs (real- time and virtual); leads the effort to assess, recommend and implement new technology for training.
- Establishes training designs and curricula to meet learning standards.
- Proactively and collaboratively identify opportunities to harmonize and drive enhancement to the MA curricula; ensure content is aligned to educational standards.
- Establish and maintain guidance for the Medical Affairs organization, to maintain all appropriate training and evaluation documentation per Astellas policies and SOPs.
- Interface effectively with stakeholders (e.g. Insights & Training, E&C; Development; GPV) to ensure all role specific standards, processes, and associated operational training are implemented consistently across Medical Affairs, with a high level of compliance.
- Strategic thinker who can anticipate issues, identify solutions and translate into action at both a regional and global level. Possess skills to work across regions and cultures.
- Develop/refine Medical Affair's vision and strategy for training: works with functional and other training leads to define overarching learning and training strategy for Medical Affairs, globally; tracks progress of training against required programs
- Provide strong leadership to ensure appropriate, accurate and compliant training.
- Oversee the team responsible for needs assessment, design, implementation and evaluation of all process, procedural, on-boarding training.
- Proactively identify opportunities to enhance current and new training curricula; devises plans and delivers results in a timely manner.
- Analyze, design, develop, and implement training solutions for process improvements (including QD changes) and operating model enhancements across Medical Affairs.
- MA Training budget within Operational Excellence
- Collaboration with Process Excellence team to support effective implementation of new/enhance process changes
- Manages the Medical Affairs Training function and its people. Provides performance management reviews, coaching and identification of high potential employee(s) to support their growth and development experiences that prepare them for broader responsibilities
- Develops an environment to enable each member of the Learning & Development team to optimally operate in a matrix environment across multiple functions, role types and levels of management
- This position has at least 4 direct reports and cover Medical Affairs Learning Needs and Training Operations.
- Influences and impacts all 900+ colleagues across Medical Affairs.
- Partners across all Medical Affairs regions/divisions.
- Responsible to define the Medical Affairs Strategy for training; enhance/maintain the Medical Affairs Training Matrix; lead team to design, develop, implement and monitor robust training for Medical Affairs.
- Reports to Ex Dir Standards, Ops Optimization, Quality & Training
- Collaborates with global and regional process owners, and training organizations outside of Medical Affairs (M&D, E&C and Commercial)
- Member of global matrices and can be called up on to lead global matrix teams.
- Regular exposure, updates and presentations Medical Affairs, senior leaders.
- Advanced degree preferred (MA or MBA); adult learning or organizational change field certification.
- At least 10 plus years industry experience in healthcare or pharmaceutical business or adult learning/organizational change related field.
- 10 years in depth knowledge in training management and leading training initiatives
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in strategic planning, execution and assessment of applying adult learning principles to deliver adult training/education through effective instructional design.
- Experience with the preparation and presentation of materials to internal and external customers.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in English, with an ability to interact at all levels of personnel.
- Ability to see and communicate a vision, understand the strategy and align tactics to that strategy.
- Demonstrated knowledge of pharmaceutical/healthcare market, acceptable practices, and constraining regulations is required.
- Demonstrated proficiency in identifying, maintaining and monitoring training systems, databases and social media to meet changing technology, business and regulatory environment.
- Successful track record of effective leadership and collaboration with other functions in a cross- functional team and matrix environment.
- Ability to manage, multiple complex projects at one time.
- Global mindset and demonstrated ability to collaborate and build strategic alignment across countries or regions
- 5 years managing people. Strong leadership skills to mentor and guide others to manage projects directly.
- Understand Change Management techniques and system adoption
- Experience modifying training techniques to manage the propensity for cultural differences to impact learning.
- Experience in leading, influencing and gaining alignment in cross-functional and matrix teams.
- May require international travel.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs