Astellas Pharma Associate Director, Medical Affairs Data Repositories in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director, Medical Affairs Data Repositories opportunity in Northbrook, IL or Chertsey, UK.
Purpose & Scope of Position:
Develops and supports Medical Affairs (MA) Technology Strategic Plan that encompasses all repositories across all MA regions. Leads strategy, implementation and operation of MA data repositories, working in partnership within MA Operational Excellence and all related stakeholders, i.e. Region MA Operations, Core Medical Teams (CMTs), M&D Functions (BOPA, Regulatory Affairs, Pharmacovigilance, etc.) and relevant support functions (e.g., IS, Budget & Control). Brings technical and project expertise to execute Medical Affairs Technology Strategic Plan and ensures plan agreement and implementation. Oversees and manages multiple major projects within the MA data repository portfolio to deliver timely and effective data solutions that create significant value across countries, regions and globally.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Provides leadership and supports evolution and management of Medical Affairs Data Repositories including, but not limited to, IMPACT (MA Sponsored Studies), AERO (Investigator Sponsored Research), GPMS (Publications), ASK-ME (Medical Information), Medical Scientific Liaison (MSL) Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Core Medical Plan (CMP) Tactics and related tools, SharePoint, Medical Affairs Informatics, Medical Education, Advisory Boards, Symposium, etc.
- Manages and leads projects that promote the ongoing evolution and management of Medical Affairs data repositories based on stakeholder needs, feedback, technology capabilities, emerging trends, industry practices and data privacy/legal requirements. Keeps stakeholders informed of important changes in each of their respective areas while driving projects within the Data Repositories portfolio and roadmap.
- Champions data repository standards within the organization to heighten awareness and position the function as a key business resource by establishing credibility and integrity with key stakeholders.
- Works closely to promote a high quality data environment to ensure data entry is complete and accurate by collaborating with all relevant stakeholders such as regional data ambassadors (RDAs) to ensure data is properly managed and maintained to align with data governance and standards.
- Drives and develops the development of data repository policies and procedures.
- Responsible for leading and/or participating in operational process reengineering related to data repositories.
- Partners with IS to assure the best technology and methods are implemented to manage information consistent with data governance and standards. In conjunction with IS, performs strategic analysis of business needs and proposed technology solutions for new systems and decommissioning of systems.
- Accountable for meeting budget objectives, projects goals, and department priorities.
- Recognizes and anticipates problems. Translates solutions into viable action plans at a global level that are effectively disseminated and implemented through cooperation of stakeholders.
- Management of approximately 10-12 repositories in all MA functions across 4 regions.
- Management of projects within budget, providing input on $3M in annual IS spend.
- Adherence to data governance and standards.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer or data sciences.
- Strong track record for Communication and Collaboration in a matrix organization.
- 6 years' experience in healthcare industry with at least 3 years developing, leading and managing data repositories. Vendor management beneficial.
- Demonstrated knowledge of tools used by pharmaceutical industry to support collection of business operations data, such as CTMS, Veeva, Planisware, SharePoint, etc.
- Fluent in written and verbal business English with the ability to present to Senior Management.
- Strong organizational and planning skills.
- Strong knowledge of enterprise-wide data warehousing options/opportunities and/or reporting tools/systems.
- Ability to manipulate complex data sets and with an appropriate set of programming tools (e.g., Python, R, SQL, Java, Hadoop/Cloudera, etc.).
- Effective management skills, including the ability to effectively motivate and manage cross- functional teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills; ability to work effectively with all levels of staff and management.
- Deep level understanding of project management, quality assurance and data repository best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Strong and effective strategic thinker and problem solver with high degree of emotional intelligence, with the ability to both recognize and anticipate problems.
May require up to 10% international travel.
Previous experience partnering with IS.
- Masters or Doctoral level degree in life sciences and/or data sciences.
- PMP Certification
- Work experience across multiple cultures and countries / regions is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with functional leaders and negotiate solutions in a matrix environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs