Astellas Pharma Associate Director HEOR Therapeutic Area (TA) in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company. Astellas is announcing an Associate Director HEOR Therapeutic Area (TA) in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
The Associate Director, Therapeutic Area (TA), Health Economics & Outcomes Research (HEOR), Medical Affairs, Americas (MA, A) is accountable for development and management of HEOR health economic, comparative effectiveness, real world data, patient reported outcomes and epidemiologic initiatives within their product/disease area that supports the MA, A strategy for in-line and development compounds. The Associate Director will support their assigned disease area and/or product by providing expertise in the above mentioned areas that generate clinical and economic data to support the medical value of Astellas products. This position is accountable for ensuring that HEOR Americas product perspectives and strategies, including Americas Affiliates, are represented within the applicable MA regional medical plans. This position requires proficiency in pharmaceutical research design and methods, pharmacoeconomic principles, project and vendor management skills. Specifically, this individual will: * ensure that health economic and clinical outcomes projects are medically relevant, scientifically valid and appropriately planned, managed, executed; * establish effective communication with internal stakeholders to understand and support the HEOR needs of the business; and * collaborate with external stakeholders & HEOR experts to ensure that Astellas sponsored HEOR initiatives are clinically relevant and support the needs of patients, health care providers and payers.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Support the Director/Senior Director HEOR TA in planning and executing MA, A health economic and clinical outcomes research strategy
- Design, develop and manage HEOR projects including input into prospective and retrospective protocol development, economic models, scientific publications, and vendor supplied research proposals within therapeutic area for both in-line and development products
- Contribute to the assessment and interpretation of project data in a clinically relevant context to support data needs for the applicable products and disease states
- Integrate data from health economic and clinical outcomes research activities into relevant scientific exchange tools and resources
- Support HEOR business planning process that is aligned with the therapeutic area/product strategy
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of products in development, the competitive landscape, Americas healthcare and payer market, evolving medical practice standards and advances in HEOR assessments/data
- Ensure the organized and timely completion of assigned HEOR projects that include appropriate outcome assessments, analysis plans, and final reports with expectation for, submitting a publication relevant to HEOR data generation strategies
- Represent MA, A HEOR on appropriate HEOR issues at regional and national forums, conferences, and professional associations; including monitoring and communicating activities by such bodies to internal stakeholders
- Serve on intercompany HEOR, MA, A or other committees within Astellas as assigned by HEOR senior leadership
- Provide assistance to Director/ Senior Director HEOR TA in the review and assessment of new product opportunities for marketed and late-stage compounds as it relates to HEOR and MA, A
The Associate Director, TA HEOR develops and manages economic, epidemiological and clinical outcomes research designed to inform the medical value proposition for Astellas products within their disease area throughout the product life cycle. The Associate Director will be accountable for managing assigned resources (approximately $1-1.5M annually) and prioritizing assignments and workload within their area of responsibility. This includes executing multiple medical tools within the therapeutic area (5-7 annually). The results produced by the Associate Director must be scientifically sound and in compliance with applicable policies and regulations.
The Associate Director, HEOR TA reports to the Senior Director TA. They may have management or oversight of assigned vendors contracted for HEOR support and will be assigned to participate on cross-functional project teams within the assigned product and/or disease area. The Associate Director will collaborate with the following colleagues: * MA: Medical Directors/Senior Medical Directors; HEOR Associate Directors/Directors/Senior Directors; Managers/Senior Managers * M&D: Directors * Commercial/Health Systems: Senior Directors/Directors/Senior Managers/Managers * Other: Government Affairs, Legal, Ethics & Compliance * External: Astellas partners, Vendors, Key External Experts
- Advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MD, DO), with consideration for MPH
- Minimum 3 years related experience in outcomes research, pharmacoeconomics, health economics, clinical research, epidemiology, and health policy
- Demonstrated pharmaceutical research and project management skills
- Solid understanding of the interface between clinical practice, managed care and outcomes research
- Expertise in leveraging outcomes data in the appropriate clinical context
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated strategic thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
- Approximately 20% travel required
- Preferred 5+ years related experience in outcomes research, pharmacoeconomics, health economics, clinical research, epidemiology, and health policy
- Extensive knowledge of Americas healthcare delivery systems (e.g. accountable care, managed care, pharmacy benefit management, government [Medicare, Medicaid]) and solid understanding of health policy issues
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal relationship and collaboration skills working within cross-functional teams
- Thorough understanding of FDA/PhRMA, OIG, Health Canada/Innovative Medicines Canada, ANVISA/ANS and other guidelines as they relate to HEOR and Medical Affairs
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs, Americas