Astellas Pharma Associate Director, Decision Science in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director, Decision Science opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope:
This position will be a Global Expert in the processes and analytics of decision-making at Astellas. The mission for this role is to serve as conduit to enable the company to make more informed decisions more consistently. This individual must work collaboratively with regional and global functions based across regions and facilitate communication across Astellas. The person must have the influence and mediation skills to address and facilitate productive conflict within the organization to improve outcomes on multimillion dollar investment decisions. The position will share best practices and seek out innovative solutions to improve Astellas operations globally.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Proactively engage with business leaders across entire global Astellas organization to prospect future engagements that will benefit from Decision Science support
- Lead Decision Science project engagements with executive stakeholders to define project scope and value delivery. Lead cross-functional project teams to execute projects to deliver the identified value metrics.
- Employ a range of qualitative and quantitative techniques to facilitate, negotiate, collaborate, and deliver strategic value insights for a wide variety of projects and stakeholders
- Develop and participate in sustained activities to raise awareness of Decision Science across the entire global Astellas organization
- Collaborate with Global Commercial, Primary Focus Leads, and Product and Portfolio Strategy to enhance decisions within the pipeline with analytics, technology, and process.
- Collaborate across the Astellas global organization to identify, develop, and execute projects that create value for diverse set of Astellas stakeholders
- Determine appropriate levels of analytical support for given project context; perform required analyses; collaborate with AIA resources to deliver advanced analytical support to the project as required.
- Collaborate with Enterprise Analytics and across AIA to improve analytic methods throughout Astellas and design decision processes to account for new information and analytical methods
- Lead project management activities to ensure projects are within schedule and budget, and appropriately source support from the Decision Science function or externally at the regional or functional level
- Design and manage methods for measuring Decision Quality within Astellas
- Educate and train the broader organization on Decision Science and improving Decision Quality
- This position provides decision leadership across multiple projects, therapeutic areas, and organizational units. Decision leadership includes coaching and negotiating with decision makers, and project leadership of decision support teams. This role will be able to manage through organizational ambiguity and analytical complexity to assist teams to arrive at
- strategic clarity. This role will also share responsibility for training groups at Astellas on decision quality best practices. This role will be focused on growing value cocreation with Astellas customers through collaborating across AIA and the
- broader Astellas organization. The projects managed by this role will reflect decision quality best practices, and will advance Astellas's decision quality capabilities.
This role will report to the head of the Decision Science group as an individual contributor. Primary areas of focus will be on pipeline and on-market product strategy development across multiple therapeutic areas, geographies, and technologies as well collaboration with corporate strategy decision-making groups such as PPS. This role will collaborate across the pipeline value chain:
- DDR and Development
- Commercial, both global and regional
- AIA internal resources
- PPS and CSP
- Global functions such as Rx+ and CSR
- Executive leadership
- M.D., PharmD, M.S. or PhD in Economics, Analytics, Data Science, Statistics, Psychology or MBA with Marketing Analytics, Decision Science, or Healthcare Concentration
- 8+ years related experience with 3+ years in healthcare (e.g., management consulting, analytics, mediation, research and development, corporate strategy...)
- In-depth knowledge of pharmaceutical development and portfolio processes
- Experience presenting and facilitating discussions with executive teams
- Experience with strategic risk-based decision making
- Passion for creating new products that drive significant value for Astellas.
- Intellectual curiosity and creativity: thrives in developing new ideas and identifying growth opportunities
- Strong problem solving, conflict resolution and negotiation skills.
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills and detail orientation.
- Ability to facilitate and mediate across cultures
- Ability to partner with global cross-functional teams to align on analytical assumptions and long-term strategic implications.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to distill complicated concepts, craft a persuasive story-flow, and communicate with clarity to a diverse audience
- Thought leader who can operate in ambiguous situations and create frameworks, drive results, bring analytical thinking and strategic grounding
- 3+ experience in a consulting firm or equivalent experiences
- Experience with strategic risk-based decision making under uncertainty including real options, probabilistic simulation (Monte Carlo), and/or decision trees
- Experience developing white papers and publications for presentation at industry conferences.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Advanced Informatics & Analytics