Astellas Pharma Associate Director Business Operations Strategy in Northbrook, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Business Operations Strategy Director opportunity in Northbrook, IL.
Purpose & Scope
Operational Improvement & Reporting Excellence is a leader in aligning functions across M&D organizations in areas which impact quality management; process management; non-drug initiative management, including IT components, to support business strategy; business information reporting and analytics; resource management; and learning and development. As Associate Business Operations Strategy Director, this position will be responsible for providing leadership over cross-functional business operational strategies and initiatives through collaborative partnerships with cross-functional stakeholders.
This position is responsible for leading cross-functional business process improvement projects within M&D by understanding business processes, business information, business issues and system implications and to work with cross-functional subject matter experts to develop business requirements and priorities to address gaps and/or new targets.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Lead cross-functional stakeholders through the development and implementation of improved/evolved processes and/or innovations assigned by partnering with peers and subject matter experts to identify, share and incorporate best practices into future iterations of processes, tools, training and/or guidance. This includes:
Facilitating and managing a cross-functional team to deliver a sustainable process, and technology solution, through discussions on business model, business process model and information model.
- Leading the identification, assessment and documentation of business processes and requirements for the IT system support using appropriate documentation standards.
- Elaborating upon requirements, in support of the business users, during evolutionary system development.
- Ensuring requirements are adequately documented and prioritized to ensure effective implementation.
- Overseeing user acceptance testing execution through the development of effective user case scenarios and identify risks to implementation.
- Ensuring successful implementation of business process and system release.
- Ensuring post-implementation reviews occur to examine the benefits defined in the business case and evaluate whether or not the benefits have been achieved.
- Proactively assess and mitigate risks;
- Lead the development and implementation of a change management and learning plan to ensure sustainable model;
- Document training scenarios and identify roles impacted;
- Act as liaison between technology team and subject matter experts/end users;
- Evaluating actions to improve the operation of a business system ensuring alignment with any proposed process redesign and IT system development.
- Developing and leveraging strong partnerships with stakeholders in the establishment of excellence in business operations and , incorporating best practices and effective root cause analysis into future iterations of process, tools, training or guidance.
- Leading the strategic assessment of continual improvement of the business process and data model related to project delivery.
- Managing as a peer leader within the organization and actively participate to ensure success of the strategic objectives.
Responsible for evaluating opportunities to improve productivity and to maximize efficiency of business processes. Responsible for budget and timelines associated with assigned initiatives. May provide oversight and management of vendors or contractors working on a project, as applicable.
Reports to the Head of Business Operations Strategy. Collaborates with cross-functional peers, subject matter experts and functional leaders and all functions within IS to drive business strategies forward through optimal use of process and technology. May have a specialty and expertise aligned to a subset of business processes within M&D as a major focus, for example operational planning, clinical data processes or document management.
- Minimum 10 years in the pharmaceutical industry and/or management consulting group focused on R&D or clinical operations, with minimum 4 years in the drug development setting.
- Strong understanding of the global drug development processes and business processes and procedures to ensure cross-functional connections and operational processes are appropriately and effectively developed and communicated across the organization.
- Strong knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycles and Computer System Validation expectations.
- Knowledge of enterprise-wide pharmaceutical software solutions and application in industry; strong knowledge of assigned software solution.
- Proven track record of facilitating process optimization and process change initiatives in a cross-functional setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, in English, with an ability to interact at all levels of personnel.
- Experience working cross-functionally and cross-culturally in support of business processes and/or systems, especially as they impact and influence multiple departments and levels of management.
- Strong and effective strategic thinker and problem solver with high degree of emotional intelligence, with the ability to both recognize and anticipate problems.
- Demonstrated ability to translate solutions into viable action plans at a global level that are effectively disseminated and implemented through cooperation of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build business relationships and influence without authority as part of a matrix organization.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple projects efficiently.
- May require up to 10% international travel.
- Advanced degree, MS or PhD or equivalent
- Location for this position is Northbrook, IL, Leiden, Netherlands or Tokyo, Japan.
- Experience with software development life-cycle and/or computer system validation procedures
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical and Development