Astellas Pharma Senior Medical Science Liaison Oncology Rare Tumors - (MN/WI/MI/ND/SD/IA/NE) in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Senior Medical Science Liaison, Oncology Rare Tumors (Minneapolis).
Territory includes: MN/WI/MI/ND/SD/NE/IA
Purpose & Scope of Position:
The Senior Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is responsible for: (1) enhancing relationships, (2) supporting the Medical Affairs Americas (MAA) medical strategies, (3) ensuring a knowledgeable environment, and (4) advancing the body of scientific knowledge.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
The primary duties and responsibilities of a Senior Medical Science Liaison include:
- Enhancing Relationships - Identifying and evaluating a minimum of 35 key external experts (KEEs) aligned with meeting scientific needs of the U.S. medical plan in assigned geography. Assisting other team members in identification of KEEs beyond assigned geography. Creating and implementing an outcomes plan for each KEE which will be stored and/or communicated electronically with progress to goal reviewed quarterly. Including goals with identified key academic institutions in the outcomes plans for appropriate KEEs with progress to goal reviewed quarterly.
- Supporting the MAA Strategy - Interpreting, applying, and communicating findings from regular field interactions to appropriate commercial colleagues. Identifying and communicating business and scientific market trends in the regional healthcare environment. Attending key national or regional scientific meetings. Functioning as meeting coordinator as opportunities arise and reporting findings to the appropriate colleagues. Assisting in the development of content for advisory boards as appropriate and reports back key findings. Leading and/or participating in therapeutic area level project(s). Identifying key internal stakeholders needed for project desired outcomes. Providing training support to MAA or other departments (e.g., disease management, product info, journal club). Identifying, qualifying and recommending appropriate investigators for participation in Astellas clinical studies. Collaborating with internal customers, meeting with and/or updating regional sales managers (RSMs) at a minimum of once a quarter and attending plan of action (POA) meetings upon request. Identifying and recommending appropriate KEEs to participate on commercial speakers' bureau and/or advisory boards.
- Ensuring a knowledgeable environment - Presenting product research data to hospital, managed care and government formulary committees per request. Mentoring and training other MSL colleagues as requested. Discussing approved scientific information with KEEs regarding Astellas products and disease state management concepts as appropriate. Providing managed care and formulary support through presentation of scientific information on Astellas products upon request. Ensuring all KEEs on the commercial speakers' bureau are routinely updated as new information arises.
- Advancing the body of scientific knowledge - Facilitating appropriate investigator sponsored research (ISR) submissions to support scientific needs of the U.S. medical plan. Presenting Astellas scientific data, study protocol information, and/or registry data to all participating investigators. Identifying new products, partners, and scientific developments for potential in-licensing.
- Committing to a learning objective - Taking initiative and proactively working toward learning new skills or enhancing skills.
Responsible for: Identifying, accessing, cultivating and effectively managing relationships with active and potential KEEs. Creating and implementing an account plan for 35-40 active KEEs aligned with the respective therapeutic area strategies that fosters scientific exchange and collaboration.
Providing written report of findings from attendance at major medical meetings as assigned. Responding to requests for information within three days. Recording interaction touch points with KEEs and HCPs within three business days of occurrence in customer relationship management documentation system/SAFIRE.
- Master's Degree or higher in a health related science
- 3+ years of industry Scientific Liaison experience or relevant clinical experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific information
- Proven oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel overnight 40% - 60% of the time
- Demonstrated basic computer skills [MS Office & Windows] and willingness to learn new applications
- Demonstrated ability and capacity to network and establish business relationships
- Willingness to acknowledge and function in an industry business environment
- Doctoral degree in a health related science (e.g. PharmD, PhD, MD/DO)
- Demonstrated high level of scientific expertise/competency in therapeutic area of responsibility
- Prior experience in managing a frequent travel schedule
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs