Astellas Pharma Medical Science Liaison Senior Manager - Oncology (MN, ND, SD, WI) in Minneapolis, Minnesota
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Medical Science Liaison Senior Manager- Oncology (MN, ND, SD, WI).
Purpose & Scope of Position:
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) Senior Manager is responsible for supporting the 3 pillars of Medical Affairs, Americas (MAA): understand the external environment and data gaps, translate insights into strategies and activities, and fulfill information needs with a foundational platform of compliant governance. S/he uses clinical knowledge and field expertise along with business orientation to identify and communicate business and scientific trends in the healthcare environment. S/he engages in peer coaching across MAA and is sought out by peers and colleagues to inform the medical strategy with identified market and healthcare trends.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Identify, evaluate and engage in scientific exchange with Key External Experts (KEEs) and future KEEs aligned with the U.S. medical strategy.
- Serve as a consultant to TA leadership, MSLs and cross functional MSLs for identification and management of KEEs.
- Create and implement outcomes plans for identified healthcare organizations. Integrate healthcare organization and Astellas' interests and capabilities to consider unique collaboration opportunities. Assist the TA leadership team in developing key organization strategies.
- Engage in scientific exchange in which knowledge about product(s), disease(s) and therapeutic area(s) is shared to ensure the safe and effective use of Astellas products and engage in discussions regarding evolving trends in disease state management and trends in therapy.
- Gain scientific, medical and competitive intelligence and insights during scientific exchange, assess for possible impact on Astellas initiatives, and communicate findings to appropriate Astellas colleagues. Interpret, apply, and communicate market and healthcare trends from scientific exchange to appropriate Astellas colleagues in support of the U.S. Medical Affairs strategy.
- Mentor other MSLs/Field Medical based on broad business acumen, e.g., Government Affairs, industry and/or scientific trends.
- Integrate scientific activities with other departments and/or global colleagues at major medical meetings.
- Lead TA or cross-functional level project(s).
- Identify investigators and recommend sites for Medical Affairs and/or Development sponsored studies upon request and engage with investigators about their research capabilities as appropriate. Provide ongoing support to investigators and/or study team as appropriate.
- Collaborate with appropriate Astellas stakeholders,
- Identify and recommend appropriate KEEs to participate on Astellas speakers bureau and/or advisory boards. Ensure all KEEs on the speaker's bureau are routinely updated as new information arises.
- Collaborate with Field HEOR for managed care and formulary presentations on Astellas products upon request.
- Support the MAA data generation efforts through field support of Astellas sponsored studies.
- Facilitate the critical review of investigator sponsored research (ISR) submissions and mentor other colleagues on the ISR process.
- Participate in and/or lead approved training of Sales representatives as directed.
- Communicate in-licensing opportunities to appropriate internal colleagues.
- Remain current in medical and scientific knowledge to enable peer-to-peer scientific exchange. May include, but not limited to, attendance at medical/scientific congress (es), evaluation of relevant scientific literature, and continuing education and self-learning courses.
Identify, access, cultivate and effectively manage scientific relationships with active and potential KEEs. Create and implement organization plans for identified healthcare organizations within MAA and assigned geography, aligned with the respective U.S. Medical Affairs strategies, that fosters scientific exchange and collaboration. Analyze and communicate field intelligence, business and scientific trends in the local, regional and national healthcare environment. Provide a written report of findings from attendance at major medical meetings as assigned. Respond to requests for information and record interaction touch points with KEEs and HCPs within three business days of occurrence in Customer Relationship Management system. Be proactive in generating ideas and problem solving. Act as a change agent and lead others through change. Influence and mentor operational excellence.
- Master's Degree in a health related science
- 4+ years Medical Science Liaison or other relevant industry, clinical or health science research experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific information
- Proven oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel overnight 40% - 60% of the time
- Prior experience in managing a frequent travel schedule
- Demonstrated advanced computer skills (MS Office and Windows) and willing to learn new applications
- Demonstrated ability and capacity to network and establish business relationships
- Strong business acumen
- A demonstrated high degree of proficiency in multiple project management and analytical skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Doctoral degree in a health related science (e.g. PharmD, PhD, MD/DO)
- Medical Science Liaison experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs