Astellas Pharma Research Associate, Cell Biology in Marlborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Purpose & Scope:
We are seeking an energetic and driven Stem Cell Research Associate to join our team to design and implement cell and molecular biology laboratory research in the lab and work directly with preclinical disease models.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Knowledge in cellular biology or other closely related discipline.
- Working knowledge and understanding of aseptic cell culture technique.
- Practical experience in culturing embryonic stem cells (ESCs), induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) and/or mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs)
- Experience with molecular biology and/or immunological techniques and assays
- Practical experience in animal handling and animal welfare
- Working knowledge of preclinical disease models
- Ability to assist/perform subcutaneous, IP, and IV injections a plus
- Aseptic mammalian cell culture
- Contributes to experimental design and improves experimental procedures
- Conducts biological laboratory experiments utilizing and adhering to internal and published procedures
- Detailed record keeping and ability to follow established SOPs
- Communicate results via both oral and written presentations
- Keeps current on relevant published literature
- Willingness to learn new protocols, relevant equipment and related software
- Ordering and monitoring of experimental supplies
- Working knowledge of computer software to record and analyze scientific data
- BS with 0-3+ years of laboratory experience or MS with 0-2 years of laboratory experience. (Title will be commensurate with degree and years of experience)
- Solid working knowledge of aseptic cell culture technique, e.g. seeding, passaging, maintaining cells in culture, and banking cells
- Familiarity with cell, molecular and immunological biology techniques
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Reliable mode of transportation for regular travel between two facilities (mileage is reimbursed), including weekends when necessary
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Quality Assurance/Quality Control