Astellas Pharma Research Associate, Assay Development in Marlborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
The Research Associate will support assay development and qualification activities by performing cell culture and wet lab experiments, analyzing data, and drafting protocols, SOPs and reports. You will be able to execute protocols with some guidance and have the ability to summarize results independently. This individual will collaborate closely within the team and across functional groups to advance pipeline programs.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Utilize established techniques in cell culture, cell and molecular biology, biochemistry, and immunology to generate and analyze data in an accurate and reproducible manner.
- Conduct experiments after discussion of the design and strategy with the supervisor.
- Contribute to assay development, optimization and validation.
- Follow SOPs and batch records.
- Subculture, differentiate, freeze and characterize multiple cell types/lines
- Write technical reports detailing procedures, outcomes, and observations.
- Maintain accurate record keeping in laboratory notebooks and appropriate databases in a timely manner.
- Maintain inventory of reagents and disposables and order supplies as needed.
- May perform assays under GDP to support process development.
- Biotechnology Certification or AA 2-4 or BS degree with 0-3 experience
- Goal-oriented, Conscientious, Enterprising, Reliable, Detail-oriented, Thoughtful, Highly organized
- Possesses a strong sense of scientific integrity and responsibility
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Self-reliant, self-motivated, highly organized
- Willingness and ability to learn new skills
- Two or more years' experience with tissue culture
- Capable of meticulious GDP record keeping
- Hands-on knowledge of molecular and cell biology analytical methods
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to analyze own data and write concise reports
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends
- Experience with pluripotent cells, working knowledge of immunostaining, experience working under GLP/GMP, knowledge of automated methods for cell manufacturing and analysis.
- Versatility with performing multiple different cell and molecule biology and/or HCP experiments working knowledge of flow cytometry, qPCR, ELISA and/or HPLC experience.
- Experience with primary cells.
- Experience in neuroscience research
- Previous GLP.GMP experience
- Knowledge of automated methods for cell analysis.
- Experience with assay qualification/validation and/or cell therapy products.
- Knowledge of GMP, ICH, USP, JP, EU and global compendial regulations and guidance.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development