Astellas Pharma Associate Director/Director, Facilities in Marlborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Direct, plan, and organize the operation, maintenance, repair and alteration/improvement of non-GMP aspects of the AIRM facilities--multiple site responsibility which operates Manufacturing (non-GMP), R&D laboratory, and Vivarium work environments. Ensures that the facilities meet the agreed upon needs of the IRM employees working within those facilities, to enable them to carry out their roles efficiently. Ensures that the facilities operate efficiently and within regulatory guidelines while ensuring optimal utilization of personnel and other resources.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Manage facilities and warehouse technicians to achieve department goals and functions. These goals and functions include responsibility for all facility operations (including the vivarium), non-GMP space, external space, facility contractors, and overall building maintenance. Facility projects are also included.
- Provide leadership and direction for planning, organizing, developing and integrating the facility's technical efforts, including establishment, execution, and reporting of the departmental systems, goals, priorities, schedules, risk analysis, budgets, metrics, and timelines.
- Collaborates with Engineering for the purpose of implementing and maintaining equipment/facilities.
- Collaborates with EHS to i) ensure the facilities and their operation meet all relevant EHS legislation and provide a safe working environment for IRM employees, IRM visitors and the surrounding area; ii) identification of opportunities to improve and reduce IRM's environmental footprint in regards to facilities operations.
- Collaborates with all relevant functions to establish, enhance and enforce policies relating to facilities operation.
- Develops long and short range maintenance plans/programs (i.e. CMMR, Blue Mountain, Work Order System, etc.) to ensure continuous improvement and effective use of resources.
- Directs projects for the purpose of ensuring completion within established time frames, project design and budget.
- Responsible for developing and adhering to the facility operations budget.
- Develop and report metrics for continuous improvement/maintenance of the facility.
- Responsible for contractors to provide facility services, such as security, cafeteria vendor, landscaping, snow removal, janitorial services, etc.
- Excellent project management skills with a continuous improvement philosophy
- Effective collaborator and communicator
- Service mindset in relation to facility users (i.e. IRM employees and visitors)
- Proven ability to prioritize and multi-task with minimal supervision; self-directed
- Proven capability to appropriately challenge status quo, drive and support innovation- including new ideas to streamline and enhance processes rather than solely implement current tactics
- Five or more years of supervisory experience managing facilities that incorporate R&D, Manufacturing and offices management (GMP knowledge is not required)
- Experience operating and maintaining building management control systems, such as HVAC and automated temperature control
- Direct experience managing a facility that includes a vivarium
- Typically requires 7+ years of managerial experience
- Bachelor's degree with 12+ years highly relevant experience
- Direct responsibility for managing a laboratory
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled