Astellas Pharma Associate Director of Immunology in Marlborough, Massachusetts
The Astellas Institute of Regenerative Medicine (AIRM) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Astellas Pharma and focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. Astellas is an R&D-driven global pharmaceutical company whose philosophy is to contribute to the improvement of people's heath around the world through the provision of innovative and reliable pharmaceutical products.
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
AIRM has a world-class R&D team, and is pursuing a diverse range of disease indications, ranging from macular degeneration (currently in clinical trials) and other ocular indications to vascular and autoimmune disease. AIRM's intellectual property portfolio includes pluripotent stem cell platforms -- both embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells as well as other cell based therapy research programs. AIRM is headquartered in Marlborough, Massachusetts.
Reporting to the Executive Director for Regenerative Medicine, candidate will assist in the design and facilitate implementation of programmatic objectives for our Crohn's Disease cell therapy program. The incumbent will provide subject matter expertise and mechanistic insight in the Crohn's Disease/IBD area. S/he will ensure timelines and quality standards are met and play an integral role in troubleshooting technical issues, inspiring team members to excel and be accountable for meeting deliverables and contributing to strategic improvements.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Performs research and/or development in collaboration with others.
- Manages a team of 1-3 direct reports with a primary focus on in vivo studies
- Makes detailed observations, analyzes data and interprets results.
- Exercises technical discretion in the design, execution and interpretation of experiments that contribute to project goals.
- Prepares technical reports, summaries, protocols, and quantitative analyses.
- Contributes to project process within his/her scientific discipline.
- Investigates, creates and develops new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Maintains high level of professional expertise through familiarity with scientific literature.
- Uses professional concepts in accordance with company objectives to solve complex problems in creative and effective ways.
- PhD with 8+ years of post-doctoral experience in immunology research, MS with 10+ or BS with 15+
- Conceptual knowledge of innate and adaptive immune cells and immunomodulatory cytokines.
- Hands-on experience in preclinical animal models for Crohn's disease, IBD and underlying pathophysiology. Knowledge in preclinical in vivo models of autoimmune diseases.
- Hands-on experience with cell-based functional assays for various mature blood cell types
- Excellent scientific writing and editing as well as written/oral communication skills
- Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by drug development portfolio or publications in high impact journals
- Maturity to lead a program focused on cellular therapies for Crohn's Disease with in depth understanding of translational science, pathophysiology, and clinical unmet needs.
- 3+ years' experience in managing team in preclinical R&D
- Experience with human or mouse pluripotent stem cell manipulation
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development