Astellas Pharma Medical Science Liaison/Senior Medical Science Liaison - Midwest in Chicago, Illinois
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Medical Science Liaison/Sr. Medical Science Liaison -- Midwest.
Purpose & Scope of Position:
The Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is responsible for managing and executing field medical activities that support the Medical Affairs strategies for one or more marketed product and/or development compound. The MSL will:
- understand the external healthcare environment and data gaps related to the disease area or product;
- gather field intelligence, identify and communicate key insights to internal colleagues; and
- fulfill stakeholder information needs by communicating appropriate details of therapeutic area and product/compound.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Region includes: IL, IN, WI, MN, IA, OH, MI
- Identify, evaluate and engage in scientific exchange with Key External Experts (KEEs) and future KEEs in assignment aligned with U.S. medical strategy
- Create and implement outcomes plans for identified healthcare organizations in assignment. Integrate healthcare organization and Astellas' interests and capabilities to consider unique collaboration opportunities.
- Engage in scientific exchange in which knowledge about product(s), disease(s) and therapeutic area(s) is shared to ensure the safe and effective use of Astellas products and engage in discussions regarding evolving trends in disease state management and trends in therapy
- Gain scientific, medical and competitive intelligence and insights during scientific exchange, assess for possible impact on Astellas initiatives, and communicate findings to appropriate Astellas colleagues
- Interpret, apply, and communicate market and healthcare trends from scientific exchange to appropriate Astellas colleagues in support of the Medical Affairs strategy
- Integrate scientific activities with other departments and/or global colleagues at major medical meetings
- Collaborate with appropriate Astellas stakeholders, e.g. identify and recommend appropriate KEEs to participate on Astellas speakers' bureau and/or advisory boards. Ensure all KEEs on the speakers' bureau are routinely updated as new information arises.
- Identify investigators and recommend sites for Medical Affairs and/or Development sponsored studies upon request and engage with investigators about their research capabilities as appropriate. Provide ongoing support to investigators and/or study team as appropriate.
- Contribute to the critical review of investigator sponsored research (ISR) submissions
- Participate in and/or lead approved training of Sales representatives as directed
- Communicate in-licensing opportunities to appropriate internal colleagues
- Remain current in medical and scientific knowledge to enable peer-to-peer scientific exchange
The MSL identifies, cultivates and effectively manages scientific relationships with active and potential KEEs. The MSL creates and implements organization plans for identified healthcare organizations within assigned geography, aligned with the respective Medical Affairs strategies, that foster scientific exchange and collaboration. They will analyze and communicate field intelligence, business and scientific trends in the local healthcare environment. The MSL responds to requests for information from KEEs and healthcare personnel. The MSL will also interact with internal colleagues to communicate key field insights and contribute to the execution of related medical activities.
- Master's Degree in a health-related science and prior experience in the pharmaceutical industry, clinical experience or post-graduate research experience
- Demonstrated ability to understand and effectively communicate scientific information
- Proven oral and written communication skills
- Ability to travel overnight 40% - 60% of the time
- Demonstrated basic computer skills [MS Office and Windows] and willingness to learn new applications
- Demonstrated ability and capacity to network and establish business relationships
- Willingness to acknowledge and function in an industry business environment
- Doctoral degree in a health-related science
- Medical Science Liaison experience
- Demonstrated high level of scientific expertise/competency in therapeutic area of responsibility
- Prior experience in managing a frequent travel schedule
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Medical Affairs