Astellas Pharma Research Scientist, Muscle Disease in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Research Scientist, Muscle Disease opportunity at their new affiliate Mitobridge in Cambridge, MA.
Mitobridge is seeking a highly-proficient scientist to drive program-related efforts into new muscle disease areas. As part of a small biotech team working within Astellas Pharma, this role will support the rare and age-related skeletal and cardiac muscle disease early portfolio projects.
Using a wide-range of in vitro assay approaches, the scientist will model key aspects of disease-related cell biology and evaluate the impact of novel small molecule approaches on those phenotypes. The successful candidate will report to Principal Scientist who manages the skeletal and cardiac muscle disease drug development portfolio.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Investigate relevance of pathways of interest in the cellular models of skeletal muscle disease.
- Demonstrates innovative thinking to meet in vitro disease characterization needs, including use of primary cells, iPSCs and 3D tissue structures.
- Accurately interpret experimental data, perform statistical analysis, formulate conclusions and communicate data with colleagues and externally.
- Drive publication efforts.
- Investigate program-relevant pathways in novel areas of muscle disease.
- Maintain interactions with outside leaders in disease-specific areas.
- Work with external research organizations to supplement in-house scientific goals.
- Support training of junior laboratory members.
- Propose and establish disease-specific tools to enable drug-discovery efforts.
- Contribute to the company's scientific strategy.
- PhD in Physiology/Pharmacology/Biological/Biochemical Sciences or other related discipline with postdoctoral experience for Research Scientist. PhD without postdoctoral experience may be considered for an Associate Scientist position.
- Knowledge of and experience working with skeletal and cardiac muscle cells and tissues.
- Knowledge and experience with cell-based and animal models of muscle disease.
- Demonstrated aptitude for independent research and innovative thinking.
- Experienced trainer and supervisor of lab-based scientists.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately interpret experimental data, formulate conclusions and communicates data externally.
- Ability to present clear and compelling scientific arguments.
- Experience working in a Biopharmaceutical company developing drug development candidates in the preclinical space.
- Experienced in disease-relevant assay development, screening and hit to lead activities with different modalities (small molecule, biologic and gene therapy).
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development