Astellas Pharma Principal Scientist, Translational Biology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Principal Scientist, Immunobiology opportunity at their Mitobridge site in Cambridge, MA.
At Mitobridge, we are passionate about developing novel therapeutics that improve mitochondrial function to treat devastating human diseases. Mitochondrial dysfunction is increasingly linked to disease pathologies and we believe that 'normalizing' mitochondrial function can ameliorate or reverse disease states.
The Principal Scientist will manage a small team and work closely with CROs, consultants, corporate collaborators to ensure development and execution of drug discovery projects according to company goals. This person will report to the Senior Director, Translational sciences.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead drug discovery programs using both internal and external (CRO, academia) resources
- Lead a small team of internal scientists and be responsible for their scientific and career development goals
- Provide scientific and strategic input into the company's target pipeline and best disease indication selection
- PhD degree + 8 years of laboratory experience in pharmacology, biology; MS with 10+; BS with +15 years of highly relevant experience will be considered.
- At least 5 years of experience in a drug discovery setting (biotech or large pharma)
- Prior experience in leading drug discovery projects
- Exceptional demonstration of scientific leadership and strategy, track record of leading value-creating accomplishments, external recognition of scientific leadership in translational setting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of Mitobridge
- Strong background in pharmacology, designing and executing in vivo PK/PD and efficacy studies
- Experience in areas such as muscle, kidney, metabolic, neurodegenerative diseases, rare diseases and/or mitochondrial biology
- A great sense of urgency and ownership for moving projects efficiently forward
- Experience with due diligence of business development opportunities in early and late stage programs
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development