Astellas Pharma Principal Scientist, Translational Biology in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing a Principal Scientist, Translational Biology opportunity at their new affiliate Mitobridge in Cambridge, MA.
This person will manage a small team and work closely with CROs, consultants, corporate collaborators to ensure development and execution of drug discovery projects according to company goals. This person will report to the Director of pharmacology
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead drug discovery programs using both internal and external (CRO, academia) resources
- Lead a small team of internal scientists and be responsible for their scientific and career development goals
- Provide scientific and strategic input into the company's target pipeline and best disease indication selection
- Lead all aspects of drug discovery project(s) using internal and external resources
- Proactively identify critical-path project goals, activities, and constraints, propose mitigation plans when necessary
- Direct, motivate and hold accountable to goals and timelines all internal and external team members associated with the project
- Effectively communicate project status, changes to plan and risks to leadership team
- Contribute in identifying the most relevant external resources for the project
- Contribute to the company's scientific strategy
- PhD degree in pharmacology, biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, or related field
- At least 5 years of experience in a drug discovery setting (biotech or large pharma)
- Prior experience in leading drug discovery projects
- Exceptional demonstration of scientific leadership and strategy, track record of leading value-creating accomplishments, external recognition of scientific leadership in translational setting
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work productively in a collaborative and cross functional team environment within and outside of Mitobridge
- Experience in areas such as muscle, kidney, metabolic, neurodegenerative diseases, rare diseases and/or mitochondrial biology
- A great sense of urgency and ownership for moving projects efficiently forward
- Experience with due diligence of business development opportunities in early and late stage programs
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development