Astellas Pharma Director Translational Science in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture. There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company. Astellas is announcing a Translational Science Director opportunity in Northbrook, IL or Cambridge, MA.
Purpose & Scope:
Seeking an exceptionally talented translational scientist to build Astellas' capabilities in Translational Science in Immuno-oncology/Oncology or mitochondrial disease therapeutic areas. Candidates should have record of accomplishment of developing and executing discovery/translational science programs with mechanistically grounded biomarker and patient selection strategies. Ability to work in cross-functional teams is essential to the success of this position.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Drive translational research and lead the validation of therapeutic hypothesis at the project level.
- Develop and execute biomarker development plans and define patient selection strategies for clinical studies.
- Drive activities related to back translation, so that clinical results can spur further discovery efforts.
- Contribute to target validation through greater understanding the mechanism of action.
- Think strategically, drive innovation, and assure that state of the art methods are applied to biomarker development and patient selection strategies.
- Assures that state of the art methods are applied to biomarker identification and patient selection strategies.
- Provides key specifics on the mechanism of action, biomarker identification and patient selection strategies.
- Collaborates with Drug Discovery Research and Development personnel, involved in pre-candidate nomination projects.
- Provides key specifics on the mechanism of action, biomarker strategy and patient selection.
- Responsible for developing and executing the biomarker selection and development strategy and developing the patient selection strategy for clinical studies.
- Reports to the Head of Translational Science.
- Establishes and engages a network of external collaborators to assist in biomarker and patient selection strategy.
- Advanced science degree (PhD, PharmD, or MD) with primary focus in immunology and or oncology.
- A minimum of 10 years relevant experience in drug development at a biotech/pharmaceutical company or equivalent translational research experience at an academic institution.
- Possess broad knowledge in immune-oncology, oncology or mitochondrial diseases.
- First-hand experience the identification and validation of pharmacodynamic and patient selection biomarkers and clinical implementation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of designing, implementing and conducting studies for biomarker discovery, validation and qualification using human biomaterials to produce both timely and good quality data.
- Proven record of leading teams and obtaining results through influencing in a matrix environment.
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, and presentations) and cross-functional teamwork are essential.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Clinical Pharmacology and Exploratory Development (CPED)