Astellas Pharma Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Developing innovative therapies is one of the most challenging, most essential and personally rewarding fields in science. This is the most exciting time to be a part of Astellas, a company with a uniquely collaborative and patient-focused culture.
There's something special about working at Astellas. It's reflected in our focus on the people we serve, the way we treat each other and the results we achieve together as a company.
Astellas is announcing an Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry opportunity at their new affiliate Mitobridge in Cambridge, MA.
At Mitobridge, we are passionate about developing novel therapeutics that improve mitochondrial function to treat devastating human diseases. Mitochondrial dysfunction is increasingly linked to disease pathologies and we believe that 'normalizing' mitochondrial function can ameliorate or reverse disease states.
The Associate Director, Medicinal Chemistry's major responsibilities will include formulating and executing medicinal chemistry strategies that will support drug discovery programs at stages from lead generation to IND candidate selection.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Lead a project team to deliver clinical candidates
- Devise strategies to identify and optimize compounds that will push target validation/assay development activities
- Develop medicinal chemistry strategies to improve potency, selectivity, ADME/DMPK, and safety properties of molecules
- Create and execute strategy to protect and expand intellectual property
- Closely interact with external chemistry CROs, stakeholders within and outside Astellas
- PhD with at least 8 years industry experience as a medicinal chemist; MS with 10+; BS with +15 years of highly relevant experience will be considered.
- Experience in leading projects
- Strengths in the following areas: creativity, problem-solving, and managing relationships within a matrix project team environment (internal/external partners).
- Demonstrated ability to successfully work in cross-functional teams with an emphasis on teamwork, collaboration and communication within team and across the department
- Adept at utilizing computational chemistry tools and structural-based drug design principles for lead identification and optimization
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Category Research and Development